Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lancashire Police to pay £2,000 to a Preston man with a heart condition who was arrested and put in a cell


A judge has ordered Lancashire Police to pay £2,000 to a Preston man with a heart condition who was arrested and put in a cell.

Dad-of-one Jordan Wood, 20, was arrested in 2005 after police attended a call to his then home in Eversleigh Street.

Mr Wood, who suffers tachycardia, which causes his heart to race, said he and his partner were merely having a row.

He was arrested and put in a cell before being taken to hospital, where he says his heartbeat was found to be 200 beats a minute.

A judge at Lancaster Crown Court dropped Wood's allegation of assault but found police acted unlawfully in arresting him. He was awarded £2,000 compensation.

Today Mr Wood, of Golbourne Street, Deepdale, said: "I was in the kitchen making a brew when the police turned up banging on the door.

They ordered me to open the door and I was asking why, because there was no reason to. They threatened to knock the door down.

"When I let them in I was knocked to the floor and arrested. I kept telling them I had a heart condition.

"I'm not happy. The incident happened in front of my son Reuben who was just a few months old."

Mr Wood had an operation for his condition two years ago but it did not work.

He lives separately from his partner but they are still together. Their second child is due in December.

A police spokesman said: "Questions were put to the jury in which they found imminent violence to the person or damage to property had not been proven, thereby rendering the arrest unlawful.

"However, the jury did accept that the allegation of assault had not been proven."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home